Who doesn’t like a soft, spongy, melt in your mouth cake?! All good things require a degree of effort and so even though this recipe for delicious spongy cloud cake has a few extra steps, it will be worth your while…promise! Give it a try and see for yourself…
100g flour, preferably cake flour or self-raising flour
20g cornstarch (also called corn-flour)
125g caster sugar
5 eggs, separated
100ml cup milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Hot water, for baking
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
2. Prepare an 8inch cake tin by lightly buttering and dusting with flour. Alternatively, line
the cake tin with parchment paper.
3. In a small pan over medium heat, whisk together the butter and milk until melted and
smooth. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool.
4. Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
5. Sift the flour and the cornstarch and subsequently using a hand whisk, mix in the egg
yolks, until the batter is of smooth consistency.
6. Next, add in the milk/butter mixture to the batter and gently mix until evenly
7. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric whisk. Gradually add in the
sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Fold in about ¼ of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then repeat with the remaining
egg whites until the batter is evenly combined.
9. Pour the batter into the cake tin and shake to release any large air bubbles.
10. Place the cake tin into a larger baking dish. Fill the dish with about 1-inch (2-cm) high
with hot water.
11. Bake for 60 minutes until the cake has risen to almost double its original height.
12. Remove from oven, cool for about 30 mins and invert the cake onto a wire rack.
13. Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar, then slice, serve and enjoy!
This simple recipe for spongy cloud cake will become a family favorite in no time.
For more recipes from Erum Shaikh CLICK HERE