This honey cake recipe is a must try, not only for its simple steps but also for the delectable flavour and incredible texture. The combination of honey and spices results in a cake loaf with a moist interior, encompassed with a slightly crispy exterior.
- An alternative to almond flour: replace with 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- For more intense sweetness, substitute 1 cup honey with 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey boiled in 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dusting of icing sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly dust the loaf tin with flour.
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond flour, plain flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together eggs, oil and almond or regular milk on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until light and airy.
- Meanwhile, boil the honey in water and stir in the clove powder, ground cardamoms and vanilla bean or extract.
- Switch the whisk attachment with a paddle and on low speed, incrementally add spoonfuls of the dry mixture, until fully incorporated.
- Pour in the hot honey mixture and mix for a couple of seconds. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter in the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour or until a butter knife comes out clean from the cake.
- Once cooled, turn out the honey cake on a wired rack & dust with icing sugar (optional).
- Enjoy a slice of cake with a freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee. Or as I do, with a cup of masala chai to complement the spices in the cake.
Do give this amazing honey cake recipe a try!