Chocolate cupcakes are easy to make and serve and fun to eat. But some cupcakes can tend to be a little dry. Not these! With a gooey, fudgy centre, you can top these with cream or icing or fruit and you have a winner every time.
This is also a fun activity to do with children. My six-year-old absolutely loves to line the muffin tray, mix the batter, spoon it into the tray and, of course, lick the chocolatey spoons at the end.
3 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sour cream. (You can make sour cream by adding half a lemon to a 1/2 cup of regular cream.)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
150 gms dark chocolate slightly softened in the microwave
- Sift the cocoa powder, baking powder and flour together and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. The butter will change colour and become paler. Beat with an electric blender for desired results.
3. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mxiture one at a time beating well.
4. Now add the the sifted cocoa and flour mixture in batches. Add the sour cream.
6. Chop up the pieces of dark chocolate and put them in the microwave to soften but not melt.
7. Line a muffin tray with paper liners. Pour in a spoon of the batter into each cup. A good trick is to use an ice-cream scooper to do this. Then drop a piece of dark chocolate into the mixture and top with another spoon of batter.
8. Continue till the tray is filled. Then bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into he cupcake and if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
9. Top the cupcakes with chocolate icing, fruit or sprinkles. This is the most fun part. Be creative and get the kids to join in.