Roast chicken is an old favourite and when a beautiful, golden, crispy-skinned whole chicken graces the dining table, the meal always feels special. And while the chicken looks super impressive, you don’t need to be a chef to whip up this one. Here’s a simple no-fuss recipe which looks and tastes fantastic.
A one-and-a-half or 2 kg whole whole chicken with skin on
100 gms butter
One teaspoon crushed garlic
Fresh mint or basil leaves
One large lemon
Four to five tablespoons good quality olive oil
One-and-a-half teaspoons red chilli flakes
One level spoon salt
6 medium sized potatoes
1.Start off by washing the chicken and then patting it dry with kitchen towels or a tea towel.
2. Let the butter soften outside the refrigerator. Prepare the herb and garlic butter by mixing the crushed garlic into the butter. Roughly chop the herbs and add to the mixture.
3. Cut the lemon into round slices
4. Now stuff the garlic and herb butter into the cavity of the chicken. Also stuff in the lemon slices.
5. Pour the olive oil into a bowl and add the salt and red chilli flakes. Prepare a paste and rub this all over the chicken, working it under the skin as well.
6. Line a baking dish with foil paper and place the chicken in it.
7. Boil potatoes till half cooked.
8. Cut them in half, with skin on, and toss in another mixture of olive oil, salt and red chilli flakes.
9. Add the potatoes to the chicken in the baking tray and put in the oven.
10. Bake on medium heat for about 2 hours. You will know when the chicken is done if the drumstick moves easily in the joint.
11. Remove your beautiful, golden roast chicken from the oven and let rest for about 20 minutes.
Carve and enjoy!